Thursday, July 24, 2008

moms can always be worse

I consider myself very lucky because I really love my mother. She's a good person, she has a big heart, she gives good advice, and makes great spaghetti. She's a born mother - really good at that job - and tends to mother anyone who needs it. I know a couple of people who have benefitted/continue to benefit from her being around when their own mothers were/are not very good.

Having my mother as a mother also has given me the opportunity to become a snob about mothers, even though I have no children of my own. It's horrible. I'm not sure I'd be that great a mother, but I can't help but think of all the good things I've learned from mom, if not as a mom, as a teacher. I have friends that are amazing mothers to their children, and I admire it, but when I walk through a store and a five year old is using a pacifier, or a seven year old is climbing shelves and screaming, I think I could do better than them. It's very arrogant.

Still, despite the "bad" mothers I believe I have witnessed, it can always be worse, as illustrated by the drama Christian Bale is going through. Thank God I don't know any mothers as bad as that. No wonder he's crazy.

And this last bit is my theory (which makes me a little crazy, too). Everyone is coming out with these statements made by him or other actors he's worked with about his intensity and how serious and into character he is all the time. Then they're saying how cold he's been in interviews, kind of harsh, not really warm or friendly. So no one even WANTS to put this together? The guy currently thinks he's John Connor, living during a war that he believes he will lose, in a post-apocolyptic world of misery, raised to believe he will be the savior of it all. OF COURSE he's grumpy and cold and harsh. and crazy. don't forget the crazy.

1 comment:

dllano said...

Well your momma is very touched by that most amazing description and by the feelings you wrote about me. Thank you so much for making me feel so special. I really needed that today. Oh, and you will be an amazing mom, I have no doubt. Don't you even think twice about it!!