Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's not where, but who you're with that really matters

I was sad to learn that LeRoi Moore died yesterday. LeRoi was the founding saxophone player in Dave Matthews Band, and while I may be loud about not liking their new stuff, I cannot deny that what he did in the past was impressive and outstanding. I cannot imagine the band or its sound will ever be the same.

LeRoi always wore sunglasses because he had paralyzing stage fright. He met Dave when Dave was bartending in Charlottesville. He was 46 years old.

I plan to listen to some of my favorite DMB stuff, particularly some bootlegs with saxophone solos that ranged anywhere from "Lucy and Linus" to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

The greatest thing about these guys is that individually AND collectively they are incredible musicians with amazing improv abilities. He'll be missed.

No comments: