Monday, August 18, 2008

Literature

I read a book Sunday that has left me in a low mood. It's called Never Let Me Go by Kazua Ishiguro. Obviously the novel was good or I couldn't have read it in a little over a day, but it was heartbreaking, and I'm a little surprised at the mental state in which it has left me. It's hard to read about people in a kind of darker mirror. That is, maybe the story was so disturbing because it is completely feasible to me, and yet I say I would never permit it. I'm sure there were people who said they would never permit slavery, too. It is very similar, though the kids in this story could easily have just left and taken up different lives - they basically would have fit in pre-donation - but they never considered it. They were raised not to consider it. They did what they were supposed to do, and in some way were proud of it.

Good, disturbing, well-written... definitely has left me cold.

No comments: