Monday, August 4, 2008

multiple topics

I've been working almost non-stop on my thesis chapter all weekend, despite the laptop's refusal to work properly. Karen let me borrow her older one, which was lovely, and i was able to accomplish some work. Good thing because it's all due today.

Because I finished it (mostly) and I had a little breakdown, Ben took me to dinner at Sweet Tomatoes (one of my favorite places - all salad, all the time), and although we were going to go to the movies, my contact ripped and we opted to rent something at Blockbuster instead. We watched Penelope, which I think any "tween"-aged girl would LOVE. It is a fun movie with really cute components, not the least of which were: A) James McAvoy and B) Christina's clothing.
without the feathers, I really loved that dress.
her shoes!!!

I was sharply reminded this weekend that I do not like when people speak for me. Not only is there the risk of them being 100% wrong, but the absolute presumption that you know anything about how my mind works or my motivation. How dare you. I do not like when people manipulate and hurt others purposefully, especially when you are in a position to have done enough psychological work on yourself to know what you are doing. You knew exactly what you were doing, what you were saying, and how much it would hurt. Again, I say, how dare you.

Finally, there are people in my life that I don't call, don't really write emails to, and only see when I'm around certain groups, but to suddenly lose someone's presence has been a very difficult shock. Joe was a really good guy, a sweet man with a great mind and a big heart. He always made me laugh, especially when he wore the Firefly hat. It's going to be hard to not see him anymore. My heart goes out to his very close friends, especially Josh, and those who will miss his absence in their lives more than a few times a year - these are the people that will miss him every day. More than a few of these people are the children in need of adoption and foster care at DePelchin. I just learned he volunteered there for many years. The world is going to miss such a good, strong Christian. He gave us a good name, but we know he is in a better place now.

No comments: